So summer is here and still no change in your body? Well, the only thing to do is jump-start your engine and send that BOD into overdrive!
If you have been going to the gym day after day and following a smart and healthy meal plan, but still look in the mirror and see the same physique from 2 months prior staring back at you? Then it’s about time to take it to the next level.
How To Get In Shape For Women
The object of the game is to wake up your muscles and give them a run for their money. For instance, as much as I despise step classes, I always take them at least once per week while in contest training. My body is not familiar with the movements, variations or platform, thus making it work that much harder to keep up.
- If you usually perform the classic crunch, try performing the same task on a fitness ball, such as the Bosu. Or simply reverse the movement.
- If you normally train by repetitions, train by hypertrophy instead.
- Do you really want to feel the burn, try the plank on for size, this move is sure to give you powerhouse abdominals while toning and strengthening your entire body.
- If you are not the “Fitness Class” type of gal, take one! Try a circuit training class, which will include cardio, flexibility, strength training and endurance in one action-packed class. It brings you through a series of exercises for each muscle group, so you won’t miss a beat.
Does The Gym Bore You?
It’s summertime and the sun is shining. Get power walking and ditch the blah wall of your fitness centre or television set, that only tends to slow you down. Breathe in the fresh air and take in the surroundings. Grab a light set of dumbbells or even a light backpack and get to stepping! Don’t feel like walking? You can always take out two wheels.
Need Something Fun & Exciting?
If it’s something new your searching for and if you are daring enough that is … take a strip aerobics class. Shy, you say, buy the video, no excuses. Have fun, feel SEXY and work up a sweat that is guaranteed to melt you down. Enjoy dancing? Try belly dancing, it’s sure to whittle your middle and strengthen your core. It’s a lot of fun and you don’t have to think of it as exercise, it makes for a great show for your significant other if you follow me.
Then there is SALSA. Cha, cha, cha. This workout, dance blast will make you feel like you spent a little too much time in the sauna. A definite sweet affect. You will twist and move those hip flexors to those Latin beats, while conditioning and losing weight, and heck, what’s the harm in learning something new?
When preparing for a competition, I always change up my workout to come in looking better each and every time I hit that stage. After a long contest season this past year, I took off 3 months from the gym and my diet altogether and gained a shocking 16 pounds. And THIS is how I took it off in less than 2 months and still came in leaner then I was at my last show.
- Step/Kickboxing class 1 hr
- 1 hr cardio on a stationary bike
- Bosu Class 1hr
- Back and Shoulders 3 exercises each x 3 sets each
- 1 hr cardio on Treadmill
- 1 hr Circuit Training
- 1 hr cardio on Elliptical Trainer
- Cardio 1 hr Hip Hop Dance
- Circuit Training 1 hour with additional Tricep work
- 1 hour of shadow boxing, drills and hitting the bag
- Yoga 1 hr
- Biceps 3-4 exercises x 3 sets each
- Treadmill or stationery Bike cardio 1 hr
- Eat 1/2 the portion you normally would. (This does the apply to the competitive Fitness or Figure competitor.)
- Cut down on saturated fats found in animals.
- Cut down the Trans-fats, found in processed foods.
- Limit or STOP the use of simple sugars such as table sugars, high fructose corn syrups and Honey.
- Switch up your routine at least every 4 weeks. If you use dumbbells, use the machines, bands or power bar. If you have never lifted weights, START NOW! You will see amazing results and fast as a novice lifter.
- Take the stairs, walk the short distance instead of hopping into your car.
- Take up a new hobby like rollerblading, tennis, even gardening.
- Drink PLENTY of water … a natural diuretic.
- Have a cheat day to avoid binge eating and reward yourself.
- Eat 5-6 small meals per day to boost your metabolism.
There is no miracle in a bottle. Try setting attainable, realistic goals to help you through. Consider entering a triathlon, marathon, Figure or Fitness competition, even a bikini contest! Sound like a far stretch from your persona? Buy an outfit that is 1-2 times smaller than your present size and work your butt into it, darn it!
If I can find the time to work part-time, Volunteer for a classroom of screaming preschoolers, take care of my three children, tend to the hubby and still workout hard 6 days every week…That you can squeeze in a little crunch time yourself, whether it be a home workout, outside or in the gym. What is holding you back? Only you! You were supposed to do this at the start of spring, what happened? Chances are if you are reading this, you may have got a bit lost along the way, but it’s OK.
Don’t let it happen again. No one is going to do it for you, that is the most important thing for anyone to understand when beginning a Fitness plan or trying to reach a goal. No one is going to throw you over the finish line, you have to run the whole track on your own.
You can have the summer body you want and you might even love your new look so much that you’ll make health and Fitness a complete lifestyle change and stay in the stronger, sexier, the more energetic shell you have created FOREVER! Good luck.